Wednesday, 18 January 2012
The Welsh Countryside Alliance Awards Champions of 2011 have been revealed at a reception at the Senedd in Cardiff, with four top local businesses taking Welsh Championship titles and qualifying for the Westminster final in March. The reception was held in Cardiff Bay on 11th January with the winners’ plaques being presented by Environment and Sustainable Development Minister, Mr John Griffiths AM.
The Countryside Alliance Awards, nicknamed the ‘Rural Oscars’, are now in their seventh year of celebrating the characters, skills, traditions and enterprise of the countryside through the people who work so hard to make it tick. The annual reception is popular and attracts the cross party support with Assembly Members keen to support and celebrate the best of rural Wales. The 2011 finalists for Wales are:
- Local Food category Champion: Hawarden Estate Farm Shop, Hawarden, Flintshire,01244 533442 http://hawardenestate.co.uk
- Second place: Beacons Farm Shop, Middlewood Farm, Brecon, Powys, 01874 730929, http://www.beaconsfarmshop.co.uk/Beacons-Farm-Shop-About-Us.html
- Commended: Goetre Farm Shop, Llandysul, Carmarthenshire, 01570 480671, www.goetrefarm.co.uk
- Village Shop category Champion: Cwm Trannon, Trefeglwys, Caersws, Powys, 01686 430430, www.cwmtrannon.co.uk
- Second place: The Village Stores, Llansteffan, Carmarthenshire, 01267 241756
- Commended: Tregaron Post Office, Tregaron, Ceredigion, 08457 22 33 44
- Commended: Merlins Bridge Post Office, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, 01437 762521
- Enterprise category Champion: Bob Valentine Shooting School, Wern Newydd, Llanbedrog, Gwynedd, 01758 740 810, http://www.theshootingschool.com
- Second place: Caroline’s Real Bread Company, Merthyr Cynog, Brecon, Powys, 01874 690 378, www.carolinesrealbreadcompany.co.uk
- Commended: Pethau Melys, Yr Harbwr, Porthmadog, Gwynedd, 01766 512569
- Commended: The Golden Lion, Llangynhafal, Denbigh, Clwyd, 01824 790451 www.thegoldenlioninn.com
- Butcher category Champion: T.J. Roberts Butchers, Bala, Gwynedd, 01678 520471
- Second place: William Lloyd Williams, Machynlleth, Powys 01654 702106 www.wil-lloyd.co.uk
- Commended: W J George Butchers, Talgarth, Powys, 01874 711233, www.talgarthmeat.com
- Commended: Martin Player Butcher, Whitchurch, Cardiff, 02920 616094 www.martinplayer.com
Environment and Sustainable Development Minister, John Griffiths commented: “I was delighted to present these awards that recognize the high standards of our important rural industries. All the finalists should be proud of their achievements. Best of luck to the four finalists going on to the Grand Final in March”.
Rachel Evans, Countryside Alliance Director for Wales commented: “The Countryside Alliance is proud to honour our hardworking, unsung rural business men and women and give them a public pat on the back. Our Champions all contribute an exceptional amount to our rural communities and I am delighted to commend them to the national judging panel. I hope they can give the rest of the UK a run for their money and bring some more titles back across the Severn in March. I wish them all the best of luck.”
Notes to editors:
- The Awards run across 10 regions.
- Welsh Champions now go forward to the Grand Final which will be held at the Houses of Parliament on 7th March 2012. At the Grand Final, overall Champions will be announced.
- Find out more about the Awards at www.countrysideallianceawards.org.uk
For more information and photographs please contact Rachel Evans on 07825 337978