Position: Political Relations Manager
Reporting to: Head of Political
Based at: 1 Spring Mews, Tinworth Street, London, SE11 5AN
Hours: Full Time
Salary: Competitive/ Dependent on experience
Job Description – Political Relations Manager for the Politics, Media and Campaigns Team (PMC)
The purpose of the Countryside Alliance is to promote and support the livelihood of rural people and their communities. We define livelihood as economy, community, environment and the rural way of life. The Alliance is a campaigning organisation based across the UK, with approximately 100,000 members and supporters, and based in London.
The Countryside Alliance is recruiting a Political Relations Manager to work within the PMC team, answering to the Head of Political and working with the Head of Policy, Media Relations Manager and campaigns teams. The Political Relations Manager is a key part of the team seeking to maximise the Alliance’s political presence in Westminster, the devolved administrations and Europe. The role will also involve work on the formulation, development and delivery of Alliance policy and campaigns on rural affairs and in particular within the political arena.
- Keep abreast of developing rural issues and national and international issues that affect rural Britain.
- Monitor parliamentary business, government departments such as DEFRA and the Home Office, animal rights organisations and other rural campaigning groups, ensuring that the PMC team are kept up-to-date with any forthcoming and existing legislation, amendments, press releases etc.
- Communicate the Alliance’s campaigns to the Government, MPs, agencies and key parliamentary staff.
- Manage, develop and maintain relationships with ministers, MPs and parliamentary staff and civil servants as agreed.
- To research and draft briefs on designated bills and issues.
- To research and draft government and EU consultation responses.
- Provide information and general assistance to MPs, Peers, researchers, members of the press, Alliance members, and the public on political matters.
- Represent the Alliance at meetings, workshops and conferences.
- Organise the Alliance’s presence at the annual party conferences.
- To produce a regular parliamentary update to go to MPs and peers.
- Ensure that the website is kept up-to-date and contribute to the Alliance’s online social media presence.
- Draft articles and copy for press releases.
- Administrative support – mail outs, arrange meetings, parliamentary events and maintain databases.
The applicant must be educated to degree level. They will be able to demonstrate a good knowledge and interest in politics and must be comfortable with, and supportive of, the Alliance’s aims and objectives. Ideally they would have some existing knowledge of rural affairs and country pursuits.
Excellent written and verbal skills with attention to accuracy and detail are essential, as is a high level of computer literacy, including a working knowledge of databases.
The candidate will have good networking and research skills, be able to assimilate and interpret large amounts of information in short period of time and be able to work under pressure.
Time management and organisational skills are essential. They will have a flexible, professional approach - always looking for continual improvements, with a “can do” attitude, and a strong emphasis on working as part of a team. They will be keen to take on responsibility for projects and drive them forward. Enthusiasm, lots of initiative and a real self-starter.
Please email Covering Letter and CV to James Legge: [email protected]
Closing Date: 27 June 2019