Ahead of the Westminster Hall Debate on the Environment Bill on Wednesday 26 February 2020, the Countryside Alliance Political Team has prepared a briefing note.
The Countryside welcomes the Environment Bill and supports the Government’s aims and ambitions set out in the legislation. Nevertheless, we believe that in certain key areas the Bill could be substantially improved, and our position is set out below.
We would like to see the Bill strengthened in terms of:
1. The environmental principles
2. The ability to hold the Government to the environmental targets set.
3. Greater independence for the Office of Environmental Protection and stronger enforcement powers.
4. Greater powers to tackle fly-tipping and protection for landowners.
5. Recognition that revoking abstraction licences without compensation could have very serious consequences for farmers.
Download the full briefing note in pdf here.