This delicious whole roasted partridge crown with celeriac purée and braised cabbage is a real winter warmer and has kindly been shared with us by Eat Wild.
Prep Time: 35 mins
Cook Time: 2 hrs
- 1x Whole partridge crown
- 1x Whole garlic, but into halves
- 1x Celeriac
- 1x Savoy cabbage
- 100g Chorizo
- 250g Butter
- 100g Cream
- 100ml Chicken stock
- 50g Redcurrant Jelly
- Few sprigs of thyme
- Blender or food processor
- Large, lidded saucepan
- Oven-proof pan
- Start with the cabbage, it needs a while to cook. Set the stem of the cabbage aside and then finely slice the rest.
- Chop the chorizo into small pieces and sauté in a large lidded saucepan. Add the sliced cabbage, chicken stock and redcurrant jelly, cover with the lid and leave to cook down on a very low heat for 2 hours. The longer it has to braise, the better.
- While the cabbage is cooking, start preparing the celeriac purée. This earthy root vegetable also benefits from a long, slow cook and a little milk or cream - but you don’t need to add anything else.
- Chop off the top and tail of the celeriac, then peel carefully around the sides. Dice the celeriac as small as you can, add to a pan with 50g of butter, and cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes to allow it to caramelise. Leave this and the cabbage to cook while you work on the partridge crown.
- Set the oven to 160°C and leave it to warm up. Add a little oil to an oven-proof pan and, when hot, sear each side of the crown.