Tuck into this marvellous recipe, kindly provided by Eat Wild, of Venison Chilli Con Carne. This versatile recipe can be used for a warming chilli con carne or for a taco night that the whole family can enjoy.
1 x large onion
1 x red pepper
2 x garlic cloves
1 x tbsp oil
1 x heaped tsp hot chilli powder (or 1 level tbsp if you only have mild)
1 x tsp paprika
1 x tsp ground cumin
500g x venison
1 x beef stock cube
400g x can chopped tomatoes
½ x tsp dried marjoram
1 x tsp sugar
2 x tbsp tomato purée
410g x can red kidney beans
- First prepare your vegetables dice onion into small dice, cut red pepper in half lengthways and chop, peel and finely chop 2 garlic cloves.
- Put pan on hob and add oil once heated add the onion and cook, stirring fairly frequently, until the onion is soft, squidgy and slightly translucent.
- Add in the garlic, red pepper, heaped tbsp chilli powder, the paprika and cumin, leave it to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat up a bit then add the venison and break up the mince for around 5 minutes until completely browned.
- Crumble 1 beef stock cube into 300ml hot water then add to venison.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stir then add in the dried marjoram, tomato purée, sugar and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring it to the boil, give it a good stir and put a lid on the pan then turn down heat and let simmer for 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, if drying out add a little water and turn down heat
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans, and once the sauce looks thick and the beans to the sauce then bring to the boil again, then let gently bubble for 10 minutes.
- Taste to see if extra seasoning is required, if so add in as necessary then remove from the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Warm the taco shells in the oven or microwave according to the packet instructions
- Best to serve with guacamole, sour cream, tomato salsa, lettuce and cheddar cheese. Fill the tacos at the table for a more fun and hands on dinner.