Preparation time: 10 mins + marinating
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 450g (1lb) venison, cut into 1 inch cubes
For the marinade:
- 2.5cm (1inch) piece of fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 cloves
- 1 small tub (250ml) plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the sauce:
- ½ cucumber
- 275ml (1/2 pint) plain yoghurt
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- lemon juice
- mint leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Blitz all marinade ingredients, except the oil and yoghurt, in a food processor, or chop very finely.
2. Stir in the oil and yoghurt and add the cubed venison, mixing well to ensure all pieces of the meat are covered.
3. Leave to marinate in the fridge for several hours, preferably overnight.
4. Drain the meat and thread onto skewers so the cubes do not touch. Grill or barbecue for about 15 minutes, turning frequently and basting with the marinade.
5. For the sauce: coarsely grate the cucumber onto a plate, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes. Press the cucumber and pour away the excess liquid.
6. Stir into the yoghurt and add the ground cumin, chopped mint leaves and lemon juice. Season to taste.
7. Serve with rice and a fresh green salad.