Skip to content

What to do if you are being abused online

Not sure what to do if you're being abused online? Here are some tips:

  1. Don't respond to and don't forward any abusive messages.
  2. Take screen shots of the online abuse so that you have proof this is happening.
  3. Report all abuse to the relevant social media networks by clicking on the "report abuse" button.
  4. Block the person who is bullying.
  5. Report the online abuse to the police if there are threats of violence or harassment. If the bullying or harassment is targeted at you because of your disability, gender identity, race, religion or sexual orientation, this type of incident is a 'hate incident' or 'hate crime'. To report online abuse you must report it by phoning 101 and ask to speak to a police officer. For the police to take any action you must be prepared to give evidence. The police will take your details and if it meets the threshold they will investigate.

Useful links:

How to report abuse on social media networks

How to deal with cyberbullying

Become a member

Join the Countryside Alliance

We are the most effective campaigning organisation in the countryside.

  • life Protect our way of life
  • news Access our latest news
  • insurance Benefit from insurance cover
  • magazine Receive our magazine
Enter Email to View Complete Story

This exclusive resource is specially curated for those who share our passion for the countryside. As a member of the Countryside Alliance, you already have access. Not a member yet? Unlock this content by entering your details below to gain access to exclusive resources. Want to join a community of like-minded individuals. Explore our full range of membership options and benefits at the Countryside Alliance.