Skip to content

European Firearms Passes: Know the facts

Following the Brexit agreement, individuals in Northern Ireland are still entitled to hold a European Firearms Pass (EFP) for taking personal firearms from Northern Ireland to an EU member state. Northern Ireland residents therefore do not need to apply for an export license like those in Great Britain. This exception is outlined in Article 9 of the Regulations.

As each EU state has different documentation requirements, Countryside Alliance Ireland encourages you all to contact the member state you wish to visit prior to travel.

There have been a number of incidents where people have been caught with firearms while transiting from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland and vice versa, on the belief they could do so with only an EFP.

An EFP allows a person wishing to travel to another Member State with a firearm to do so if they are in possession of an EFP and, if required, has received prior approval of the Competent Authority of the Member State to be visited.

Republic of Ireland
The Republic of Ireland require prior approval before entry with a firearm. Northern Ireland (NI) residents travelling to the Republic with firearms to shoot require a Non-Resident Firearm Certificate from the Garda Síochána. If a NI resident wishes to take firearms through the Republic of Ireland in transit, but will not be shooting, they must obtain a transit pass from the Department of Justice in Dublin.

Visitors Pass

The following is a list of documentation you will need. (You will normally then submit your form to the Superintendent in whose area you are going to visit).

  1. Your Original European Firearms pass. A copy will not suffice. (If you do not have one you can visit the PSNI website by clicking here and apply online for a European Firearms Pass. There is no charge from the PSNI for this).
  2. If you are joining a club or syndicate, enclose a copy of your membership card or a letter of confirmation from your gun club or syndicate secretary.
  3. If you are Deer Hunting you will also require a Deer Hunting Licence from Duchas, National Parks and Wildlife, Department of Arts, Heritage, Gaeltacht and the Islands, 7 Ely Place, Dublin 2, or it can downloaded here. Please note, if you are deer hunting, Duchas will require you to have insurance cover. If you do not have it you can contact Countryside Alliance Ireland and become a member.
  4. The cost for the Non-Residents Firearms Certificate is normally €40 per firearm depending on the type of firearm you wish to have on your certificate. The application form can be downloaded here.

Republic of Ireland Transit Pass
When a person who is resident in another country wishes to pass through this State with a firearm, they require a licence issued by the Minister for Justice.

A ‘Transit the State’ Licence is applicable where a non-resident is travelling though the jurisdiction with a firearm, but not using their firearm. An example would be a resident of Northern Ireland wishing to travel with firearms and flying out from Dublin Airport.

To apply for a ‘Transit the State’ Licence, complete the application form by clicking here and returning it to: Department of Justice, 51 St Stephen's Green, Dublin 2, D02 HK52 by post or email to

Become a member

Join the Countryside Alliance

We are the most effective campaigning organisation in the countryside.

  • life Protect our way of life
  • news Access our latest news
  • insurance Get comprehensive insurance
  • magazine Receive our magazine