Ten years ago (18 November) the Hunting Act 2004 was forced through Parliament and three months...Read more
Five hunt saboteurs have been found guilty of using threatening words and behaviour at a hunt meet, following a three day trial at Loughborough Magistrates' Court.
The Countryman's Weekly has confirmed that Paul Allman, Matthew Slater, Charley Waring, Cameron Allman and Reuben Waterhouse were all found guilty, via HM Courts and Tribunals service, on Friday 29th July.
Paul Allman pictured at a separate meet, 47, found guilty
The trial followed an incident which took place in Rutland back in January.
The victims, three hunt supporters, included a 15 year old girl and two men aged 61 and 52. All three had been following a nearby trail hunt on Saturday 29th January, when they were set upon by the gang of burly hunt saboteurs.
At the time, Leicestershire Police said that officers from the Melton and Rutland Neighbourhood Policing Area (NPA) were appealing for witnesses after two men and a teenage girl were assaulted in Oakham, near Rutland Water.
The incident was said to have happened in Ashwell Road between midday and 1pm.
A 61-year-old man was reportedly punched to the face while the others reported they had been pushed, police said at the time.
The five men – four from Stockport and one from Altrincham – were located nearby by police officers and were arrested before being charged with using threatening, abusive and insulting words and behaviour to cause harassment, alarm and distress.
Sentencing is due to take place on September 5th 2022.
Polly Portwin, Director of the Countryside Alliance's Campaign for Hunting said: " Our rural communities should not have to suffer at the hands of violent criminals, simply for enjoying a day out in the countryside, following hounds. We welcome this guilty verdict and await the sentencing."
While you are here: Keep up to date with all the latest Hunting news via our dedicated newsletter, by clicking here